If you have never eaten the “Elotes”, “Elote en Vaso” or “Mexican street corn” at a pop up truck in front of a meat market, out of a truck on the side of the road, or maybe at a festival… you are seriously missing the fucking jam. Corn in a cup is one of my favorite Mexican snacks and if you are from Texas you should get on the damned band wagon with this tastetastic traditional treasure. It’s beginning to look a lot like fall around here (well, as fall as south Texas can look in November) and that means white girls in those classy ugg boots, holiday flavors of coffee addicts unite…. and mufukn CROCK POT season!!! I think I use my crock pot at least once a week from Halloween to Valentines day…. shes my bitch in the kitchen, my BFF.. I call her Gertrude. Now, although Gerti does all the heavy work with chowders, soups, stews, and many other awesome things, It’s up to me to feed her the right shit and treat her right. There’s not many ways to eff up a crock pot meal but I’ve heard tales that it’s possible. So, keep her wet, don’t make her too hot if you are just going to leave her alone all day, and by all means, take your time with her if you want her sweet sweet love. I know I’m not the first Wench to make a corn chowder, but I very well might be the first one to make a CORN IN A CUP CHOWDER WITH CANDIED BACON….. so here goes. Cheers to creatastivity and fall food fusion!
- about 15-20 red potatoes, scrubbed and chunky cut-not peeled
- 1 can golden hominy -because hominy is awesome
- 1 bag of fiesta lime corn
- 1 med sweet yellow onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 8 garlic cloves crushed
- 4 cups veggie stock
- 1/2 lb bacon
- some brown sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- Deans –Sriracha Dip
- cotija cheese – finely shredded (I couldn’t get any so i used parm)
- 1 lime
- cilantro sauce or sprigs
- salt & chili powder – this is the shit-Penzeys Chili powder
……..the chowder magic:
- chop all veggies
- add all veggies, garlic, corn and stock into the crock
- add some cilantro and the salt & chili powder
- cook, on high for 5 hours
- while you wait…. you could go to work, go jog that ass away, nap, or maybe you should drink some margaritas…it’s never a the wrong time for ritas..or Tequila!
- add cream and half of the deans tub… don’t be shy it’s the holidays.
- bake those luscious piggie slices with brown sugar on top until its nice and candied and the fat is crispy…drool.
- crumble that shit and dump it in
- cook for 30 more min
- plop that creamy stuff into a cup and sprinkle grated cheese, chili powder, cilantro sauce or a sprig or two…
- devour it like the sexy mistress it is.
The hardest part about crock pot cooking…. is not stuffing myself like the thanks giving turkey. Portion control people! Freeze some, send some down to the neighbors, what ever you gotta do to keep the greedy kraken inside of you in check. OR…. don’t give a fuck and have thirds. This recipe is surely making me want thirds.