IIII’mmmmm Baaaaack, from a blogging hiatus with a rad brunch dish to share! Everyone loves a classic Eggs Benedict… but there be no limits when it comes to MY cooking, so I put a SO Cal spin on this one. I recently received a box of awesomesauce from So Cal Hot sauce and I don’t think I’ve ever reeeally thought about hot sauces categorized by region before. Sure there are different levels of heat, salt, texture, sweetness… you can use scorpions, ghosts, reapers, serranos…. you can separate them by season, color, consistency……there is an endless plethora of categories. BUT this sauce definitely tastes like Southern Cali to me so it immediately pleases the Captain that they are true to their name, beit that their slogan is “California inspired, Carolina grown”. The first one that I played with is the “So Cal Guac Sauce“ – Hot Avocado. Y’all know how I feel about avocados…. they are a staple, a necessity, a vitamin and a part of my balanced breakfast and sexy as fuuuuck. The avocado flavor and the consistency of this sauce was too legit so I had to use it IN a sauce… I do love to sauce bro. Since I enjoy the challenge of making better choices (most of the time)and the healthy hippies in cali love cauliflower… I opted to make some crispy, slightly cheesy, dill cauliflower waffles instead of the all p0wer full evil BREAD! Mmmmm…bread… any who, If you switch up this recipe up, have fun, do what you wanna. By all means I’m not the boss of you, BUT, don’t leave out the cauliflower waffle or the “guac sauce” and expect it to be as magical and amazing as mine. Just sayin. #brunchlikeyoumeanit
- 3/4 cup frozen cauliflower crumbles (thawed and drained)
- 1 cup low fat Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 4 large sprigs dill – chopped
- 1 large egg, beaten until moral improves
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pink Himalayan sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper (or more cause its awesome)
- 4 large eggs, drained (I will explain)
- 4 slices Canadian Bacon eh?
- 2-3 cups arugula
- coconut oil for sauteeing
…… in- the-blender:
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon Dijon BEER mustard
- 1 tblsp lemon tears
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 3 tblsp of So Cal Guac Sauce – Hot Avocacdo
…… cookin time:
- Get out that dusty old Belgian Waffle Maker if ya got it, and heat to a medium setting. IF not, fuck it, any ol’ waffle maker will do.
- In a medium bowl, combine 3/4 cup cauliflower crumbles, 1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese, chopped dill, 1 beaten in to shape egg, garlic powder, onion powder,salt, freshly cracked black pepper. Mix that shit. SIDE NOTE: I grate fresh cauliflower using my food processor and store the cauliflower crumbles in the freezer. BUT you can just get some frozen cauliflower crumbles. If you use freshly grated cauliflower, add an egg white.
- Spray the waffle iron and slop that cauliflower mixture EVENLY onto the waffle iron. Close lid and flip over. Cook till brown like a chocolate starfish… that’s when ya know it’s done.
- DO YOU even sauce bro? Well ya do now, put the hollandaise stuff in the blender… blend till awesome. Dip your finger in for a taste… tasty as fuck right?!MMMMM! This “guac sauce” has about 5 calories per serving (tsp) and a medium range of sodium @ 105 mg. The “heat” is mid range with serranos and habaneros balanced with tomatillos and avocado. It’s puurrrfecct for a golden creamy hollandaise.
- Now make some perfectly poached eggs. Lay a paper towel out to lay the eggs on, fill your favorite pot about 2-3 inches deep. While waiting for the water to boil, drain the eggs by cracking them into a fine mesh strainer and allow the watery part of the whites to drain out into a bowl. The thin part of the egg is not necessary and causes bullshit when trying to poach the eggs. Homey don’t play that.
- Slip that drained egg into the GENTLY boiling water…poach one a time. DO NOT SWIRL the water. Because we removed that bullshit part of the egg white there is no need to waste your time swirling the water. Poach for 3 minutes. When it’s ready, use a slotted spoon to gently transfer the eggs to the paper towel plate. Don’t fuck it up!
- While the eggs are poaching, quick sear that Canadian Bacon in a small cast iron skillet. Mmmm bacon.
- Remove them pig discs and toss in the greens.. use a little coconut oil and seasoning of your choice (I use FlavorGod Dynamite Seasoning) for a quick sautee “roll in the hay” and remove before that shit gets gross.
- To assemble: Put 1/4 of the cauliflower waffle on a plate, then a spoon of sauteed arugula, topped with that juicy yankee bacon & then 1 poached egg. Now you can drench that shit with guac hollandaise sauce. Garnish with chopped parsley or scallions or what ever you want…it’s all about to be devoured soon anyway. Make sure you enjoy cutting into that sexy runny yolk, sop it up with that delish cauliflower triangle…now stuff your face hole!
Yield: 4 Servings
Prep Time: 15 mins.
Cook time: 10 mins.
Total time: 25 mins
Drink up me hearties yo ho!