I am not a traditional wench, as you may have noticed. So when I get an idea to do a “traditional dish” from some other country or region, I’m probably going to twist it up, and do it my way… and this system works for me. Some people get offended that I don’t follow recipes and I change theirs… but I’m already over this “offended” period of the 2000’s. Get over it. It’s adventure time! So if you are an adventurous eater / cook.. then you and me should be friends. I am always looking for a new thing to try.. an new hot sauce to use and a new way to do things. This weeks #doyouevensaucebro hot sauce company spotlight is on Voodoo Chile Sauces and their Bhuty Thyme tomato based hot sauce! It tastes like grandmas cookin… if your grandma is a spicy as mine. Speaking of traditional… I LOOOOOVE cast iron especially my passed down LODGE cast iron. The pirate in me wants to cook everything in a perfectly seasoned IRON pan… dutch oven or skillet. So when I received this deliciously interesting EMU EGG (among many other awesome things shown below) from a local Emu farm (I support buying local when ever possible), I knew I was going to do something with it in my cast iron skillet. There’s something very paleolithic about these ginormous eggs… I fucking lub them. I had been wanting to make a Shakshuka again for a while… this was it… THANKSGIVING WEEK, the perfect chance to make a dish meant for sharing with others. So I invited the crew over and we grubbed for dinner / neighborsgiving. So what if it wasn’t for breakfast, I break the rules! You should too.. follow along mates.. here’s the skinny:
- 8 oz Chorizo, squish that shit into the LARGE cast iron and fuck it up with a wooden spoon
- 1Tsp oilve oil
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- 1 small red pepper, diced – a small jar of roasted red peppers works great too
- 1 small bulb garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup sherry
- 1 can diced tomatoes, chopped & not drained (I also used some jarred golden tomatoes from the emu farm and split this part)
- 1 can drained chickpeas
- 2 baby bella mushrooms -sliced
- 2tsp brown sugar
- 1tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp mexican oregano
- 2 tsp cumin
- a couple of splashes of hot sauce – I like it hot so mo is betta- BHUTY THYME (clickit)
- 1 emu egg, but I know yall ain’t gonna get one so… 4 – 6 free-range eggs
- 1 cup feta.. crumbly, salty and awesome
- fresh culantro / also called shado beni, (a stronger cilantro falvor) leaves to garnish
- half an avocado for garnish
- toasted NAAN is my choice of dipping bread.. but you do what you want.
…….. shake that shuka:
- Heat a large CAST IRON skillet and fry the chorizo until the oils start releasing and the meat browns. Remove the sausage and put baby in a corner for a bit.
- Add the olive oil to the pan of orange oil and gently fry the onion for about 3 minutes until softened. Add the red pepper and garlic & continue to fry for a further 2 or so minutes until they too are softened. Return the chorizo to the pan and briefly fry.
- Add the sherry and allow the liquid to (mostly) cook off.
- Add the tomatoes w liquid, sugar, chickpeas, shrooms, seasonings, and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper if your feeling fiesty… Allow this to bubble on a gentle heat for about 20 minutes. This is where you have a shot and a dance break. SSSSHHHAka khan – tell me somethin good!
- Now, if you are adventurous and you’ve gotten an emu egg, you will need to dremel it open.. it’s kind of like brain surgery. Easy peasy, right. Then gently pour the egg into a buttered frying pan & fry your emu egg until the white is almost done, then gently transfer it to the top of the shakshuka to finish poaching in the sauces. My asshole egg yolk popped but.. it’s actually ok because this much runny yolk would have grossed out my neighbors whom I was sharing this with. Check out my shitty vid of my dremel vs emu egg action.
- but.. if you didn’t get an emu egg, just make several indentations in the top of the shakshuka with the back of a ladle and break your eggs into the holes. Mix the egg white around a bit to loosen and spread… and don’t breaking the damned yolk, that’s eggicide and I would just toss the whole damned thing out if the yolks are popped. Just sayin. Here’s my quail egg mini cast iron shakshuka breakfast the next morning…
- Cook for a further 3 or so minutes and until the egg whites have hardened. If necessary put a lid on your pan to speed up the process.
- Scatter plenty of feta over the monstrosity, then the chopped culantro and the lovely avocado.. then scoop it out onto some warm naan, or what ever. I served mine with a smoked white wine.. but that… is a whole other blog. 🙂
Drink up me hearties…yo ho!
…. as you can see, I really love ALL of the Voodoo awesomesauces, even when they are backwards. IF you think your worthy… Join my FB group: “Do you even sauce bro” and follow me on IG: the_bomb_noms
1 thought on “EMU EGG SHAKSHUKA”
I must say it was hard to find your website in search results.
You write interesting posts but you should rank your page higher in search engines.
If you don’t know how to do it search on youtube:
how to rank a website Marcel’s way