…..and then the clouds parted and the light shown down in glittering rays, the angel choir sang and the trumpets played…the gods have smiled upon this dish indeed! I mean…a “Grilled hatch pimento mac & cheese” just makes me drool saying it.. I can’t even tell you in words how lip smacking good this was. You are going to have to conjure it up yourselves. I have always wanted to make a grilled mac & cheese but now that its HATCH SEASON…. I have been making hatch-ALL THE THINGS! I served this sammich beast with some home made creamy tomato basil soup that was the tits, but that’s a whole other post. Pre warning, this is not diet food, rabbit food, muthafukin carb free, gluten free or sugar free. BUT.. it IS amazeballs so, if you want to taste life and put the melancholy and infinite sadness of healthy eating on the sidelines for just a minute….grab these items below and lets shove off on a mystical journey… in your mouth.
- bacon pan
- food processor
- baking tray covered in foil
- panini maker if you have one.. if you don’t.. it’d be a lot cooler if you did.
- food processor
- 6 slices of sourdough bread
- 6 slices of hatch bacon
- 2 hatch chilis – they come in different levels of spicy… get the hot ones or you’re not a goonie!
- 1 bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed and chopped
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon FRANKS red hot sauce
- some smoked salt and black pepper
- 1 cup miracle whip (because we fucking hate mayonasty)
- 1 cup shredded smoked Cheddar
- 3 slices of sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 box of organic spiral mac & cheese (or you can make the shit yourself if your super cool.. I am not too cool for the box)
- wyatts finishing butter – In garlic herb. I say this brand because its the shit, but you can make your own garlic herb butter too. – obviously. –Wyatts Finishing butters
- spray foil lined pan and roast (broil) hatch peppers and bell pepper on high for 8-10 minutes, rotating them like a white girl sunbathing on the beach of ARUBA.
- let them cool… then skin them alive! Also sqeeze out the seeds. It should be easy to peel the skin off if you have had any damn patience at all.
- chop them chunky like
……the pimento, bacon & mac magic:
- In food processor, blend together the garlic, paprika, hot sauce, cayenne, salt and some black pepper.
- Then add the mayonnaise, smoked Cheddar, and pulse until combined.
- Put the mixture in a bowl
- MAKE THE MAC according to the instructions.
- fold in the cooked pasta with the pimento mix and fridge it for a minute
- cook that bacon yo! Then place it on a napkin to drain.
- mix all peppers by folding into the mac and pimento mix
……..the grilled baby cheesus magic:
- butter one side of all bread
- place one slice of bread -butter side down- on the HOT panini maker (or skillet)
- plop a bunch of that pimento hatch mac right on it
- place 2 strips of bacon in an X right on top… because X marks the spot mates!
- top it with one of them slices of cheddar
- then the bread -butter side up – and close the lid and hear it sizzle and turn nice and buttery golden
- slice in half diagonally and serve with creamy basil tomato soup with a dollop of pesto and a basil leaf… lookin like a damn pro and shit.
Obviously you will have some left over mac…. that’s fanfreakingtastic because you are going to want another one tomorrow. Just one… more… taste. It’s way safer than crack so go ahead..
LOL! It’s safe to say, that I will never be too thin or have an eating disorder. I love food and life too much.. so remember…
“Life is short…. so eat the butter, buy the shoes… and drink up me hearties yoho!”