Y’all know by now that I like to stuff stuff in stuff…then eat it. This morning I awoke with a great hankering for something nutty and woodsy and savory. It also happens to be the day after the supreme court ruled that Gay Marriage is legalized! So there’s a reason to celebrate with a colorful meal. I used all the colors of the rainbow accept indigo… because blueberries would taste fucking AARRGGFUL in this dish. I know squash is usually a fall favorite but I love squash year round and you would too if you knew what’s good for you. Acorn squash is rich in vitamins, minerals, dietary fiber and antioxidant compounds. A diet with a high intake of the nutrients provided by acorn squash may decrease the risk of a number of serious medical conditions. To read more about the awesomeness of acorn squash see here: acorn squash is awesome. I made some badass beet risotto a couple of days ago and couldn’t wait to stuff it into stuff so here it is…
- 1 large acorn squash
- 6 cups chicken broth
- a lot of EVOO (I like truffle oil myself)
- 1 1⁄2 cups Arborio rice large
- 1 large beet peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- whole clove garlic
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine (the rest of the bottle is for you)
- Himalayan salt and pepper
- goat cheese
- a couple of rainbow cherry & grape tomatoes
- an egg because eggs are fucking amazing.
…… the magic:
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- chop onion and celery beets and some garlic
- In a medium pot, warm the broth over medium heat.
- In a large skillet heat 3 tablespoons olive oil over medium high heat.
- Stir in the rice to coat with the oil, toast for 2 minutes.
- Add the beets, onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Pour in the wine and cook until absorbed into the rice, drink the wine, yes, right out of the bottle.
- then begin adding broth a couple of ladles at a time, stirring with each addition, until the rice is cooked, about 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- While the risotto is cooking, get out your cutlass and swashbuckle that acorn squash in half (upright) and scoop out the seeds and hairy shit, then slice off the tips so they sit on a foil lined pan. Pour olive oil all over the inside and bottoms and season with salt and pepper and roast upside down in a 425 degree oven for 20 minutes. Add the peeled garlic to the pan around the acorn squash halves and coat them with oil as well, sprinkle thyme and roast. More wine.
- turn squash over and fill with risotto top with goat cheese and roasted garlic
- quick fry an egg (I like mine runny of course) and plop it on top.
- add sliced tomatoes to still hot egg pan and heat them with some balsamic vinegar and salt… slap them on top too
- add some fresh thyme. cause we all need more of that shit….
- drink more wine…the good stuff.
You should have beet risotto left after this… use it for ERRYTHANG! Really, its good with pork, chicken, what evs. See below on how to half the squash, take off the tips, and fill it with risotto and goat cheese. Not everyone likes eggs… so I hear. That’s INSANE…but if you don’t want to put an egg on it, its still awesome like this…
Voila! One for me, and one for the neighbor wench, who would rather her squash be stuffed with mushrooms and spinach on a bed of beet risotto. NO EGG> weird. Bon Apetite ya scurvs! Eat drink and let gays be married!