Yes, Yes, I am the great cornholio! Ok, so I know I didn’t invent grilling corn. BUT…I did perfect my version of “grilled corn” and I will never go back. So, the crew loves a good corn on the cob. Sometimes we cover it in greek yogurt (in lieu of sour cream) and lime juice & cayenne, some times its pesto slathered, and sometimes its smeared with garlic paste and brie. I mean its still just corn…but this time IT’S WRAPPED IN BACON! I like my corn to have the husks on, to use as a handle to eat with and it just looks prettier. Also, I guess I’ve really been on a bacon kick lately. Probably because I banned it from the ship for months during one of my shake diets. Love me some protein shakes, but as Captain I realize now, that I can’t be a good leader without the Bacon. So if you are one of those people that are shaking your head at this point, suck on some bacon and see here http://bacontoday.com/bacon-is-good-for-you/ about how BACON is actually good for you.
The first mate swears that corn doesn’t even get processed in his body and there’s nothing good for you about it… I like to prove him wrong.. so here’s this FYI about corn: Corn not only provides the necessary calories for healthy, daily metabolism, but is also a rich source of vitamins A, B, E and many minerals. Its high fiber content ensures that it plays a significant role in the prevention of digestive ailments like constipation and hemorrhoids as well as colorectal cancer. The antioxidants present in corn also act as anti-carcinogenic agents and prevent Alzheimer’s disease. Corn aids in controlling diabetes, prevention of heart ailments, lowering hypertension and prevention of neural-tube defects at birth as well. So there. Eat your corn you lily livered sea swine.
- 2 fresh ears of corn (BUY LOCAL BITCHES)
- 4 strips of thick ass bacon
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- lime / lemon or both.. because we love them.
- garlic butter… (I’ve been making my own with roasted garlic cloves.. so good.)
- cayenne, Himalayan salt, cracked black pepper
…….the corny magic:
- Peel back husks, de-hair your corn
- slather corn cobs in garlic butter
- wrap corn cobs in 2 strips of bacon each, because the bacon will shrivel and shrink… not unlike a man thrown over board.
- wrap each cob in foil all the way to the tips of the husks, twist ends.
- grill on high for 20-25 min, rotating
- unwrap and gently place corn directly on the fire for 3-4 minutes to get bacon crispy (we don’t want no soft meat)
- plate it and sprinkle cheese and lemon / lime juice and seasoning
- enjoy the fuck out of it because there are 3 delicious food groups here people.